April 30, 2009

Tokyo Drift

I had eight hours layover at Narita Airport enroute to Manila and I don't want to be incarcirated in the airport so I decided to go around Tokyo. Armed with experience last year in Nagoya, using the train and subways were easy this time as I go around to see some nice spots in Tokyo.

I started in Ueno, went to Akihabara, get back to Ueno and had lunch there, then proceed to Asakusa and Ginza. Too bad, my legs succumbed to cramps at Uniqlo .

Formerly famous for its electronics shops, Akihabara in recent years has become the center of "otaku" and "moe" culture, with its stores specializing in comics and hobby goods as well as a number of "maid cafes". My intention was to score a laptop and I was hunting for a bargain but to no avail, as I was told, prices in Japan were a lot more than in the U.S. and its true, so I deferred.


We went back to Ueno Station after a short Akihabara stint. We've tried a small resto under the railtrack and tried udon and some tempura. It is quite expensive for a decent meal but it was so good.

Located in Asakusa, Sensoji is Tokyo's oldest temple, with more than 1,300 years of history behind it. Also one of the capital's most popular tourist spots, there are dozens of souvenir stalls lining the street between the temple and the giant Kaminarimon lantern.



One of Japan's foremost shopping districts, Ginza has an atmosphere of tradition that has been carried down since the Edo period. It is filled with historical eateries and department stores and boutiques, making it a center of fashion.


No comments: